Monday, October 1, 2007

My Mustache is My Hijab

How did I come to this, I often ask myself. How did the person I wanted to be diverge so precipitously from the person I actually am? I mean, am I really the sort of person who unironically wears a mustache?

It started, like so many things that turn out tragic, as a joke.

Har-har, shave the beard, leave a mustache tossed on your face like a hairy candy wrapper on a theatre floor.

I thrilled with anticipation at the responses this would engender. I especially liked imagining the abject horror and revulsion a furry caterpillar like growth would inspire in attractive women. They’d crinkle their normally smooth foreheads and ask me ‘why? why ever would you wear a mustache?’ and I’d insouciantly reply that it was ‘for kicks’ or ‘as a lark’ or even ‘to piss off my wife’.

It was supposed to be ridiculous, you see; something funny because of the discomfort it would cause me socially.

Now I don’t know who I am anymore, and neither does my mustache.

To be fair, I did (and do) receive my share of oddball double takes when I stroll into a shop or a restaurant or supermarket, but nothing like the behind-the-hand giggling I’d hoped for.

I eventually squeezed out a patch for the chin and another for just under the mouth, attempting a sort of an Errol Flynn effect, thinking that would seem even less legitimate a choice of facial hair, but to no avail.

Hell, Chiara likes it!

She balked when I recently shaved, telling me that my face sans mustache and friends appeared “puffy.” I then suffered the further indignity of having to grow the whole nonsense from the ground up - no mean feat for someone with blondish facial hair.

So now here I am, a man who wears a mustache.

Don’t call it a goatee - it’s three separate pieces of facial hair. I have some dignity remaining to me.

I’m calling it a D’Artagnan.

I can tell you that I might wear a cape or a porkpie hat and I’d feel less costumey.

I wonder if my upper lip will ever feel the warmth of the sun again, or the coolness of the pillow at night.

My mustache is the hijab of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment